Five killed as Kaduna debunks reports of negotiating with bandits

0
28

Five people have been killed by bandits following an attack on Katarma village in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna state.
The commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Kaduna.
Aruwan also debunked reports that the state government had appointed representatives to negotiate with bandits.
The commissioner said security agencies reported the attacked in Katarma village to the state government.
Aruwan said the security report indicated that “five persons were killed in the attack, listed as: Samson Danladi, Luka Gajere, Amos Ali, Titus Baba and Damali Musa”.
The commissioner added that one person was injured and was taking to the hospital in a neighbouring state for treatment.
The statement said, “In another incident, troops under the auspices of Operation Safe Haven reported a clash between some youths in Atuku village, Jema’a LGA.
“During the clash, one Afiniki Thomas was attacked by two youths, and sustained a deep gash to the forehead.
“One of the assailants, Sani Safiyanu was arrested for profiling and Investigation.
“The injured victim was rushed to hospital for treatment”.
He stated further that, troops of Operation Safe Haven, while on patrol, discovered the decomposing corpse of one Paul Simon, a resident of Yagbak village in Zangon Kataf LGA.
According to the statement, the deceased was reported missing on 24th March 2021, adding that corpse had since been buried.
The commissioner said, “Governor Nasir El-Rufai prayed for the repose of those slain, and sent condolences to their families, while wishing the injured a quick recovery.
“The Governor also tasked security agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into the clash in Atulu village in Jema’a local government area. Investigations into the incident are in progress.”
Meanwhile, the state government has debunked reports that it had appointed representatives to negotiate with bandits.
Aruwan said in a statement that the state government’s stance against negotiating or payment of ransom to bandits has not changed.
The statement said, “the attention of the Kaduna State Government under the leadership of Governor Nasir El-Rufai has been drawn to reports in the media that it has appointed representatives to interface with bandits on its behalf.
“The Kaduna State Government hereby clarifies firmly that such intermediaries have never been appointed.”
Aruwan said, “The position of the Kaduna State Government remains the same: the Government will not negotiate with or pay ransoms to bandits”
The commissioner said, “Any person who claims to do so in any capacity, if found, will be prosecuted accordingly.”
The statement urged “citizens to report the details of any persons posing as official government negotiators to the Kaduna State Security Operations Room on 09034000060 and 08170189999, or email internal.security@kdsg.gov.ng”.
There had been agitations by parents of the 39 abducted students of the Federal College of Forestry, Afaka, Kaduna for the state government to negotiate with the their captors.
The students were abducted on March 11 at about 11:30pm when bandits invaded the school.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here